Tell me, what keeps you up at night? For 8 the Theatre, its dreams of bright luminaires, spotlighting the dreamy Jazz ensemble taking the center stage. And besides the hum of conversation from music lovers in the awestruck audience, syncopated rhythms of blues and Jazz fill the colossal concert halls.
The people behind 8 the Theatre are music fanatics from all different pockets of Vietnam, some with experience playing instruments from their childhood days, while others are more into music advertising and marketing. But though their musical backgrounds differ, they all share one common goal — to introduce academic arts and new underground music to the young Vietnamese generation.
The team organizes events with innovative concepts to give music talents a platform to showcase their story and their gift, and an audience that can appreciate both. The ultimate goal is to enhance art and music appreciation in Vietnam for all.
Storytelling through music
The music behind a song sets the story behind its lyrics. Elements like the rhythm, tempo, texture, form and the instruments are what turns the words of a song into an enchanting poetry that connects the band to its audience — bringing everyone into one magical experience.
To set an example, imagine this: there’s a live jazz show over the weekend and there’s no way you’re gonna miss it. Upon arrival, you notice the rowdy crowd in the corner of the room watching the live soccer game on the TV behind the bar, their glasses filled with the freeflow craft beer. Bright neon strobe lights are pounding around your peripheral, veering your attention away from the soulful jazz ensemble on stage, which is the reason you’re there in the first place. No matter how much you’ve looked forward to this musical performance, you just know you’re not going to enjoy the night. What a bummer, right?
For 8 the Theatre, music itself is not the only element that is important in a show. For them, the best shows engage all the human senses. That's why they focus on creating events that help bring the story of the music to life. Each concert conveys a different emotion and needs to be delivered depending on the story the artists want to tell.
And besides setting the stage and organizing events that correspond to each concert’s storyline, part of their work is also to nurturing young artists and showing them how to structure their music in a way that speaks to the audience — distinguishing themselves as a pioneer in academic musical arts as well, yet still staying close to the hearts of the young Vietnamese people.
Duy Quang, founder of 8 the Theatre, shares that besides creating and organizing state of the art music performances, his team is in the pursuit of establishing musical playgrounds around Vietnam to help young artists develop and explore their potential as artists as well.
The show goes on
Even amidst the challenges that come with COVID-19, 8 the Theatre continues to set the bar with their shows. The team is most proud of “Jazzis,” a launchpad for the young Jazz talents of Vietnam.
Each Jazzis concert tells a different story. Jazzis #1 followed “The Roaring Twenties” and sold out in just 2 nights! Jazzis #2 showcased Jazz from 1930 to 1960, following the theme “My Everlasting Reverie”. And Jazzis #3 is just right around the corner!
1) Jazzis #3: Night & Day Concert
- May 8th, 2021 and May 9th at 8 PM (Hanoi) - 1100 seats
Buy your ticket here: http://bit.ly/
2) Jazzis Big Band
- September 2021 (Hanoi) - 600 seats
- October 2021 (Saigon) - 1000 seats
3) Jazzis Christmas Concert
- December 2021 (Saigon & Hanoi)- 1100 seats
Another project, Unplugged, was created to highlight the true tones of the young local artists, without the electronic sounds, mixing tables, and loudspeakers. Each show combines a selective combination of the respective artist's musical personality and their instrument — a completely unique experience.
When talent meets opportunity
The masses are starting to notice their innovation and success as well. With social media numbers exponentially growing, 8 the Theatre currently also runs two series on their Youtube channel and are gaining more subscribers by the day. They recently hit a new record with their latest video, Joy Spring, a performance by My Anh & The Red Eyes Band, with more than 110K views on YouTube just after five days! Meet the artists responsible for this milestone below.
- Trịnh Thy San is one of the most prominent young guitarists in Hanoi's Jazz Community. After winning the Toyota Scholarship for Young Vietnam Music Talent for three consecutive years, and the Yamaha Electric Guitar Competition in 2018 among multiple other awards, San was recognized by Jack Thamarat, one of the world's most well-known guitarists today, whom he had the opportunity to perform with at the recent Monsoon Music Festival!
- According to one of their friends overseas, Dattie Đỗ “has a mesmerizingly smokey voice — similar to that of old school jazz legends — that can hush a rowdy bar to complete silence.” Since his appearance in the Jazz scene in 2018, Dattie has found his place in the Jazz community having performed at the Binh Minh Jazz club since 2018.
- Trương Mỹ Anh, daughter of singer My Linh and musician Anh Quan, found herself immersed in the music scene even before she took her first steps. My Anh has showcased her talent singing on the big stage and her voice is often mistaken as her mother's. She has since released several CDs of her own music and brings a younger and fresher perspective to the Jazz scene in Hanoi.
- With experience playing the piano, the trumpet, and the saxophone, An Trần made her first debut at the “Dau An" liveshow with her father, Tran Manh Tuan, and instantly struck the hearts of the audience. From then on, she has made her mark through a series of concerts, performed on television, and was the youngest artist to perform at APEX Vietnam 2017.
8 the Theatre has big dreams that are beyond their own limits, and they need partners to help support them on their journey through sponsorships! They offer tons of brand-partnership benefits that will help bring your business closer to the public and connect you with a large number of potential numbers. So, will it be you?